29,000 Floating Ducks

The Travelling Art Journal Project

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

And they're off!



Hurrah!

I just received an e-mail from Bek to say the ducks are on thier way ... via airmail ... which brings me to my entry.

Last night, I found what I had been looking for to be able to make my post on the blog (see picture). Six little babies in the palm of my hand.

When Bek told the story of 29,000 floating ducks, I immeditaley thought of these little guys. Being from Britain and flying back and forth across the Atlantic with Virgin Atlantic, I aquired these little fellas in my goodie bag each time I made a trip. They came attached to a toothbrush.

And, as I reminisced about my trips and thought more about the duckies, I wondered how many of these ickle rubber duckies have been 'floating' in the sky over the years.

I contacted Virgin's press room and discovered the duckies have been discontinued since a year or so ago but I'd like to think they were in their thousands ... possibly more.

Let's think about this a second: An A380 airbus is designed to carry 555 passengers (555 duckies) including all classes. Take one airtrip three times a day from Newark to London — and back — for one year (365 days).

555 x 6 (return trips) = 3330; 3330 x 365 days = 1,215,450 rubber duckies!!!!! And that is just one flight.

Okay, now, is it me, or do we have a lot of baby rubber duckies flying over our heads in the world???? I like to think some may still be out there ...

So anyway, "29,000 Floating Ducks" will be a skybound tribute to my glorious flights with Virgin Atlantic back and forth to my homeland.

5 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Baskerville Hound said...

Thanks fantastic Leezy! i had no idea there were so many Ducks floating across the sky [as well as on the ocean!]
I wonder how many Kilometers [or miles] these ducks make in a lifetime! Luv the pictures Leeze and so glad that this projects title brings back memories for you :)

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Cin said...

Leezy what a great photo! I loved Rebekah's story of the 29,000 ducks and I love this story too, what fun!

and you've reminded me of something, omygosh I may have a duck story too (to be continued!)

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger vicci said...

Love those duckies Leezy!!!! (especially the babies)...Vicci

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger The Tart said...

ducks ducks everywhere....lovet this

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Leezy! I love your photograph of the floating duckies. I have a toothbrush just like the one you mentioned, and I'm trying to locate others. So far, they have not materialized. But I'm glad I stumbled on to your blog- We're two ducks of a feather. :)-bye for now-Carol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home