29,000 Floating Ducks

The Travelling Art Journal Project

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

1st Journal Entry- Baskerville Hound

Hey Kids! My first entry into our journal is all but finished and awaiting its long journey from Adelaide, Australia to New Jersey, USA! I thought instead of posting all that i have done in this journal entry and spoiling the surprise before the book reaches you, i would post a few thumbnails as a taste of whats to come!

I thought the best place to start is with the story of the ducks themselves. As i mentioned in an earlier post, i began with the shape of the ducks [specifically the plastic duck that adorns our cover-we really should name him/her-any suggestions?] I really liked the outline shape of him when he went from a 3 dimentional object to a 2D photograph. I started thinking about the currents that carried the ducks and started stitching into the page with cotton. This reminded me of ancient ocean maps, marked out with its currents and tides.

I have always liked the idea of language and speech being like a thread- that connect people's thoughts and ideas together like a dialogue. The rhythm of weaving in and out through the page made me think about this and the flow of text across a page. Using an old book, i incorporated some random lines of text, placed together in no particular order. The lines together creating a new piece of writing like: "So, having washed her plates and cup, the power of being alone with Earth and skies" [sounds deep huh?!].

we just so happended to have Chinese food for dinner the night that i added this to the journal, and i thought the fortune cookie messages fitted in with this somewhat philosophical idea quite nicely. one even said "good news will come to you by mail" which i thought had to be a good sign for our project!


Lastly, i wanted to add a playful element to my entry, since the rubber ducky is associated with children and play. Here i included a polaroid [how could i not have one in there somewhere!] and a cute little bluebird image.

Very much looking forward to seeing what Leeza's got to add for the next journal entry.

:)

11 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh my what a tease this is just showing a thumbnail portion of the pages. So how many pages did you do? So will we be waiting till the book is done before all pages are scanned and made ready for download for us? We most deffinately will have to create a web site when we are done to feature our book. And hopefully entice an exhibit somewhere.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Lee said...

how cool...and what a great approach...nice job :)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger vicci said...

Yes!!!! I like Toni's idea about an exhibit...also I'd like to submit the project to one of the magazines...(like Somerset Studio...or Cloth Paper and Scissors)....these teasers are great! Is there a sign in page? How many pages are we doing?? This is going to be really NICE!!!! Vicci

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Baskerville Hound said...

Glad you like what i have done so far! my entry is two "spreads" or 4 individual pages- that way there will be room if we decide to send it around again.
Submitting some of the pages to a magazine is a great idea Vicci! i will have to contact some local mags here in Oz too [maybe we could in each of our cities?] and an exhibition [whether on line or in a gallery] would be great.
I have also created a list on the back page of the book where we can put our names, location, the date we received and sent the journal and an email address.
I have scanned and photographed my pages [more so as a momento] but it would probably be good to scan it all together at the end [for consistancy] I still think it is a good idea for everyone to scan their own just in case!
Cant wait to see each of your entries!

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Weichuen You said...

That's so cool! Oh you really turned ducks into a very profound art:-). I am looking forward to receiving the book though I'll probably have to wait for some more time.

I'd love to see more of your works when I get the book one day. Good job Bekh!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Scott Henderson said...

looks like a good start, 4 pages seems like a good amount for an entry too. look forward to this washing ashore here in Italy in a couple months.

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger valerie walsh said...

hi all! how wonderful this teaser looks! very exciting!!! just out of curiousity how did you send this book bek?

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Leeza Hernandez Illustrator said...

Oh this is soooooo cool - I can'tr contain my excitement to see the journal arrive and I get to work on it .. I love the teaser type approach to the entries that Bek made and I may follow suit. This is so much fun ... btw: I have a magazine coming out later in the year Vicci, what a great idea, perhaps we could feature it in there too!

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Cin said...

Hi Baskerville Hound/Rebekah/Bec (Could you let me know which you prefer?)

Some wonderful ideas for your pages! Can't wait to see how you've incorporated them together in the whole spread, thanks for the little peeks for now!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Baskerville Hound said...

Cin- you can call me Bek or Rebekah, what ever you like! thoughtful of you to ask though :)

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Diandra Mae said...

Bekah, this looks fantastic! I"m so glad you went ahead with the thumbnail idea. We get a taste without ruining our appetites! I can't wait to get the journal. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home