29,000 Floating Ducks

The Travelling Art Journal Project

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

1st entry- here goes!


Well I thought I should bite the bullet and make a start!

At the moment I am working on my entry [& the 1st entry] of our journal. Rather than wait and show you a completed entry [& spoil the surprise for Leeza when she finds the journal in her mailbox!] I thought it would be better to post a work-in-progress and let you know some of my ideas.

This image is what I had in mind for the cover- if you haven't already read on my blog, I'm in love with Polaroids [the color, the instant result-all of it!] so I thought it fitting that I make that my starting point.
[please don't feel you need to be precious with the cover of our journal b.t.w- if you have additions you want to make when the journal reaches u- go for it!]

I found this plastic duck years ago at a cool warehouse-like shop that collects bits and pieces, offcuts and scraps from all over the place, aiming to encourage recycling and giving school kids [& and art students!] all kinds of random things to create with! I believe this duck, along with all his brothers & sisters were from one of those side-show/carnival games where they each have a number printed on them & you try to fish them out of a pool for a prize. I liked his cute expression and he has been in my studio ever since.


My idea for the first journal entry centers around this plastic duck's shape- at the moment I am cutting this shape out from just about every paper, image, fabric or interesting texture I can find- as for what eventuates from all these ducks, I'm not 100% sure yet [you'll have to wait & see!]
I thought an entry referencing the story behind the title of our journal would be good-kind of like my response to the entry in Book [look at book website that I'm always on about!] that got me interested in starting a traveling journal project.


Here some of the little duckie clones I have been making....

Also- If anyone wants to post their own introduction- to tell us a bit about themselves or the work they do- feel free. Would be great way to get to know everyone.

Until next time......
Baskerville Hound



7 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Rebekah
this is exciting! the duckies look cute. ;)
Looking forward to adding my part and seeing everyones pages.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger vicci said...

Hi Rebekah...I think the duckies are cute....the duckies cut out of a map might be interesting...since those little guys are travelling all over the world....this is going to be great...I'm also looking forward to other's comments and photos!

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Baskerville Hound said...

Hey great idea Vicci- i will have to do that!
I was also thinking in the front of the journal i should put a map of the world for each of us to make our location.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Bek, I like Vicci's idea of ducks cut out of a map also.
I also like the thought of the map where each of us mark our location then draw a line from where it came from. So if you send it to Leeza next she would draw a line from your place to hers.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger valerie walsh said...

this is so cool!!!!

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Lee said...

maps rule, great ideas...love your duck clones, the shape is trickier than I expected ;)

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger Cin said...

Hi Rebekah,

I'm slow getting a start here, apologies for that.

This is such a fun idea and I love the story that inspired the theme for this project. Your ducks are just perfect cut out of all different materials, a wonderful introduction!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home